I like to keep bought, cooked shrimp in my freezer. It is readily available in the freezer case at the market. They can easily be turned into a great meal with very little effort.
Here I added them to a spicy sauce made with mayonnaise and horseradish. Adding some blueberries and red bell pepper cubes makes this a perfect meal to celebrate any summer evening.
• You can use any lettuce.
• A quick way to defrost the corn kernels is to place them in a strainer and run warm water over them.
• A quick way to slice scallions is to cut them with a scissors.
• Mix mayonnaise and horseradish together.
• Prepare remaining ingredients.
• Assemble salad.
• To buy: One jar reduced-fat mayonnaise, one jar prepared horseradish, ¾ pound cooked shrimp (frozen or fresh), one container blueberries, one red bell pepper, one bag frozen corn kernels, one bunch scallions, one small head iceberg lettuce, one large tomato, one cucumber, one loaf whole grain country bread and one bottle reduced-fat salad dressing.
• Staples: Salt and black peppercorns.
FIERY CELEBRATION SALAD SUPPER
Yield: 2 servings.
½ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
3 tablespoons prepared
¾ pound cooked shrimp
1 cup blueberries
1 cup red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch cubes
1 cup frozen corn kernels,
3 scallions, snipped
(about ½ cup)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Several iceberg lettuce leaves (about 2 cups)
1 large tomato, cut into cubes
½ cucumber, cut into cubes (about 1 cup)
2 tablespoons reduced-fat salad dressing
2 thick slices whole grain country bread
Combine mayonnaise and horseradish together in a bowl. Stir in the shrimp. Set aside.
Mix the blueberries, red bell pepper, corn and scallions together and divide between two dinner plates. Add the shrimp and sauce on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Divide the lettuce leaves between the plates and top the lettuce with the tomatoes and cucumbers and drizzle them with the reduced-fat salad dressing. Serve with the sliced country bread.